Life Onscreen

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Maison Martin Margiela...not quite sure how I feel yet

Ok. So I took a look at the Spring '08 collection from Maison Martin Margiela (who used to be the head designer for Hermes), and I gotta say...I don't really get it. I've always felt that I could appreciate fashion as art even if the piece isn't something I'd wear or even particularly care for. But MMM's done an entire collection based around colorblocked Spanx and cheesy horse t-shirts. I mean...come on...really? The first two looks are the ones I'm referring to as Spanx, and the third just kinda looks like she managed to barely escape an attack by a very short lion. The fourth look is ok; MMM's following that trend of super boxy structured looks like Balenciaga's corset dress (the one Jennifer Connelly wears in the ads). I actually do like the last one, it's sleek and elegant, which I guess it what he was going for with the whole collection.

Next, however...we have the big problem. MMM is suggesting we wear the dress version of those horrible animal shirt that only hicks and math nerds wear. The same kind that I'm sure a number of hideous velvet "paintings" depicted.





Ready for MMM's take on the classic?

And here the runway version:
Seeing a connection? Am I wrong to not get it?

1 comment: